Click the thumbnails to play the games, watch videos or view documents.

 zectr ZECTR A fast-paced shoot ’em up prototype. This was my first big solo project where I built functionality early, iterated on all of the features and mechanics to make them feel as solid and smooth as possible each week, and progressively polished artwork and systems towards the end. Features include a powerup system, different AI behaviors, different projectile types, randomized enemy spawning, shields that absorb incoming fire, as well as some features for polish and presentation, like a main menu and pause menu. A few stats are also tracked during play, like how many shots you’ve fired and how many enemies you’ve killed.


Development Time: One month

Language: C#

Engine: Unity 4

 

Shark Hunter A simple 2D  game prototype about harpooning deep sea fish. I worked with a fellow classmate for the final week of the Programming Foundations II class as the Combat Designer where I was in charge of the aesthetic of the player’s movement and combat functionality. I created the game art (except the Squid and Shark sprites which were free assets found online) and wrote the state machine code that handled movement of the player submarine as well as the harpoon’s firing and recovery functions including all collision interactions between the harpoon and fish.


Development Time: One week

Language: C#

Engine: Unity 4

 tiny_shmup The Shmup That Has No Name An early attempt at creating a shoot ’em up game using an HTML5 engine. This was my first ever playable prototype in a video game engine. I wanted to work on a simple game that felt good, so I paid extra attention to the player’s ship controls feeling nice and slick, like you were sliding through space. I also wanted it to be fairly intuitive, so I added a reticle that acted as crosshairs. This was also one of the first times I created art assets for a video game. I did the art for everything except the player and enemy ship sprites, which were used freely from OpenGameArt.


Development Time: Two days

Language: Visual Programming

Engine: Construct 2

Space Smuggler Space Smuggler A fast-paced Frogger-like with objectives. This is a super simple, minimalistic prototype that pays homage to oldies like Space Invaders and Asteroids, where the dependency of simple shapes and colors are used instead of fancy art. I took the basis of Frogger and added two-way enemy pathing as well as an overall point to moving across the board. The idea for trafficking illegal goods through space was the theme I was going for.


Development Time: One week

Language: JavaScript

Engine: Perlenspiel

Match 3 Match Only 3 A gravity-defying game about matching same-colored squares. I wanted to work on a simple Match 3 game without all the extra fluff so that I could have some practice programming logic for puzzle games, and this was surprisingly challenging. Ultimately, I’d have liked to have a sense of gravity to force blocks to fall to the bottom, but given the time constraints of the project, I was unable to do so.


Development Time: One week

Language: JavaScript

Engine: Perlenspiel

Treasure Hunt Treasure Hunt This one is all about pathfinding and giving directions. It was an incredibly simple and straightforward experiment that handles logical direction-guiding towards a desired point. If you click to the left of where the goal is, the game simply tells you to go right. If you click above, it tells you to go below. Since the logic is so basic, it’s very easy to find the treasure just by clicking adjacent blocks until you’re there.


Development Time: One week

Language: JavaScript

Engine: Perlenspiel